The Richmond Police Department asks motorists to be mindful of runners, street closings and parking restrictions for the Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10K this Friday and Saturday. The events begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, March 28, with the Virginia 529 Kids Run. The first wave of the 10K steps off 8:30 a.m. near Broad and Harrison streets. The 10K’s finish line is on Franklin Street next to Monroe Park.
Logistics of the 10K will require numerous street closings and traffic pattern changes throughout the city beginning with parking restrictions starting at 1 p.m. on Friday, March 27. Restrictions and closures will continue until 3 p.m. on Saturday, March 28.
Richmond Police reminds all 10K event participants and attendees to take advantage of parking in the decks near the start and finish lines and to not leave any items that may tempt would-be thieves in plain view in your vehicle, regardless of where you park.
Following are the Richmond Police closings and changes scheduled from 5 p.m. Friday to 3 p.m. Saturday:
· W. Franklin Street from Laurel Street to Belvidere Street.
Following are the Richmond Police closings and changes scheduled from 4 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday:
· W. Broad Street – both directions - from Belvidere Street to Lombardy Street will be closed from 4 a.m. to noon. The recommended detour for westbound traffic on Broad is right on Belvidere, left on Leigh Street and left on Allen Avenue. The recommended detour for eastbound traffic on Broad is left on Allen, right on Leigh and right on Belvidere.
· N. Belvidere - southbound lane - from W. Broad to Main from 7 a.m. to noon.
· Blacker Street will be closed from Monument to Monumental from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
· Canal Street between 2nd Street and Belvidere from 5 a.m. to 3 p.m.
· Chantilly Street between Monument and Monumental from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
· W. Franklin Street between Shafer and Belvidere from 4 a.m. to 3 p.m.
· W. Franklin Street between Stuart Circle and Shafer from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
· W. Grace Street between Belvidere and N. Allen from 7 a.m. to noon.
· Harrison Street from W. Marshall to Park from 4 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· Kent Road from Wythe to Monument Avenue from 4 a.m. to 1 p.m.
· Laurel Street from W. Main to W. Broad streets from 4 a.m. to 3 p.m.
· Cathedral Place will be closed from Laurel to Shafer Ct from 4 a.m. to 3 p.m.
· Harrison Street will be closed from Park to Marshall from 4 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· N. Lombardy Street from W. Broad to Park Ave. from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
· Chantilly will be closed from Monumental to Monument from 5 a.m. to 1 p.m.
· Park Avenue between N. Lombardy/Stuart Circle and Shafer Court from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m.
· Shafer Street between W. Franklin and W. Broad from 4 a.m. to noon.
· Exit ramp from Westbound I-195 to Belvidere will be closed from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.
· Monument Avenue will be closed from Staples Mill Road to Stuart Circle (Lombardy Street) from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. The recommended detour for eastbound traffic is left on Staples Mill, right on Broad, left on Allen, right on Leigh and right on Belvidere. The recommended detour for westbound traffic is right on Belvidere, left on Leigh, left on Allen and right on Broad.
There will be many street closings for all north and south streets intersecting Monument Avenue and Franklin Street from Staples Mill Road to Belvidere Street. Motorists are strongly encouraged to use I-95 and I-195 to travel around the city.
In addition to the street closings, parking will be prohibited - on both sides of the streets as posted - prior to and during the 10K on the following streets starting at the following times:
1 p.m. Friday, March 27
· Both sides of W. Broad Street from Belvidere to Lombardy
· Both sides of W. Franklin Street from Laurel to Belvidere
· Harrison Street between Marshall and Park Ave.
· N. Laurel Street between W. Main and W. Broad
3 a.m. Saturday, March 28
· Monument Avenue from Stuart Circle to Staples Mill
· W. Franklin Street from Stuart Circle to Shafer
· N. Laurel Street from W. Main to W. Broad
· Park Avenue from N. Lombardy to Shafer Court/VCU
· Shafer Street from W. Franklin to W. Broad
· Lombardy from Park to Monument
· Chantilly Street from Monument to Monumental
· Kent Road from Wythe to Monument
· Canal Street between Belvidere and 2nd
· Blacker from Monument to Monumental
· N. Lombardy between W. Broad to Park
· W. Grace from Belvidere to N. Allen
· Eastbound side only of W. Broad between N. Lombardy and Allen
See two maps below and attached to this release